Highlights |UPSC Exam Current Affairs 13-02-2020
UPSC exam current affairs 13-02-2020 The following article contains all the updated events and news for IAS Preparation. Our daily IAS Current Affairs and News cover the most important topics to give precise information to the reader and IAS Aspirants.
- Mana Krishna
- Coronavirus samples from Karnataka test positive for H1N1
- Centre clears Major Ports Authority Bill
- Indian Governance
Watch Video – UPSC Exam Current Affairs 13-02-2020
Video Source – Shankar IAS Academy
find top institutes for IAS coaching
UPSC Exam Current Affairs 13-02-2020 are followed in the part below:
UPSC Exam Current Affairs and News Analysis (13-02-2020)
- The Krishna locale organization has propelled ‘Mana Krishna’ (Our Krishna), a gigantic crusade of cleaning Krishna River waterways as a major aspect of the Clean Krishna-Godavari Canals strategic.
- In the Krishna River and Godavari River bowls in Andhra Pradesh.
- The site is known for the D-6 square where Reliance Industries found the greatest flammable gas holds in India in 2003
- The bowl is home to an olive ridley ocean turtle, a powerless species
Industrial production shrinks 0.3% in December
- The Index of Industrial Production (IIP) had developed by 2.5% in December 2018.
- India’s modern creation development turned negative in December, shrinking by 0.3%, predominantly by virtue of a decrease in assembling part yield.
- As indicated by the National Statistical Office (NSO) information, the assembling area yield shrunk by 1.2% in December 2019 as against a development 2.9%
From Prelims Point of View:
Index of Industrial Production
- Development rates in various industry gatherings of the economy in a fixed timeframe.
- It is assembled and distributed month to month by the Central Statistical Organization (CSO), Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation.
Composite indicator rate of industry groups classified under:
- Expansive areas, in particular, Mining, Manufacturing, and Electricity.
- Use-based divisions, specifically Basic Goods, Capital Goods, and Intermediate Goods.
Center enterprises of India speak to about 40% of the heaviness of things that are remembered for the IIP.
Significance of IIP :
- IIP is the main measure of the physical volume of creation.
- It is utilized by government organizations including the Ministry of Finance, the Reserve Bank of India, and so forth, for approach making purposes.
- IIP remains incredibly significant for the figuring of the quarterly and advances GDP gauges.
Coronavirus samples from Karnataka test positive for H1N1
- Suspected coronavirus (nCoV) cases that tried negative for the infection have tried positive for H1N1
- In spite of the fact that the novel coronavirus is identified with Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), the main distinction is that the proficiency of individual to individual transmission is high in the novel coronavirus
From Prelims Point of View:
- Regular in different types of creatures, for example, dairy cattle, camels, bats, and felines.
- Cause sicknesses running from cold to SARS.
- Coronaviruses can taint people, which would then be able to spread from individual to individual.
- Coronaviruses cause respiratory diseases in people who are commonly gentle, yet at times, can be lethal.
- Truly huge to the extent infections go (26 – 32 kilobases), having a surface of spike projections (which takes after a crown and consequently the name ‘crown’).
- Like the flu infection, the coronavirus spreads through both immediate and circuitous contact.
TTD lifts restrictions on the sale of big laddus
- Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams (TTD) has made plans to lift limitations on the offer of enormous laddus and make them effectively accessible to lovers at its counters.
- TTD the huge laddus (prominently known as Kalyanotsavam laddus) were in incredible interest and consequently were sold at over the top rates operating at a profit advertise. Lovers would now be able to purchase the ideal number of laddus at ₹200 each.
From Prelims point of view:
Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams
- India’s most extravagant sanctuary, the Venkateshwara (Tirupati) sanctuary have the patent of its popular ‘laddu’
- Land Indications Registry which likewise conceded the laddu the status of Geographical Indicator of the Tirupati area.
Bill to regulate pesticide trade
- Bureau endorsed the Pesticides Management Bill, 2020,
- Bill will control the matter of pesticides and repay ranchers if there should be an occurrence of misfortunes from the utilization of fake agro-synthetic concoctions.
From Prelims Point of View:
Highlights of the Bill
- Give pay when there is ranch misfortune because of the utilization of low-quality pesticides.
- The misfortune is to be paid utilizing reserves gathered from the producers.
- The data with respect to the pesticides accessible in the market is to be made accessible in the advanced organization.
- This will assist ranchers with settling on the correct decision.
Centre clears Major Ports Authority Bill
The Cabinet has given its gesture to Major Ports Authority Bill that will supplant a 1963 law overseeing nation’s 12 significant ports.
From Prelims Point of View:
- At present: ports are represented by a ports law of 1963.
- High strategic costs are attributable to inheritance issues including the Tariff Authority for Major Ports (TAMP’s) antiquated administrative hold.
Overview of the Bill:
- The proposed law is planned for upgrading the general efficiencies of the ports.
- Presently ‘significant ports’ will find good pace levies for different port-related administrations just as the terms for private designers who collaborate with them.
- Each port will presently be administered by a Port Authority which will have forces to fix reference duties for different port administrations.
- Making of an adjudicatory board at the zenith level for the audit of the port position’s choices.
- It will have the order to determine the debates between port specialists and PPP administrators.
Direct tax Bill to include DRTs
In news :
- Direct Tax Vivad se Vishwas Bill, 2020 to build its extension to cover suit pending in different obligation recuperation councils (DRTs).
- The point of lessening suit identified with direct assessments.
- It was proposed to cover charge questions pending at the degree of the magistrate (requests), Income Tax Appellate Tribunals, high courts and the Supreme Court.
From Prelims Point of View:
Debt Recovery Tribunals:
- Obligation Recovery Tribunals were set up to encourage the obligation recuperation including banks and other monetary organizations with their clients.
- DRTs were set up after the death of Recovery of Debts because of Banks and Financial Institutions Act (RDBBFI), 1993.
- At present, there are 33 DRTs and 5 DRATs working in different pieces of the nation.
- In 2014, the administration has made six new DRTs to accelerate credit-related contest settlement.
- Contrasted with the standard court techniques, DRTs had the option to deal with an enormous number of cases with a low deferral during the underlying stages.
- Despite the fact that the DRTs have had an effect on recuperation front, a few issues identified with their exhibition out of sight of the rising volume of NPAs have shown up in the later period.
Topic: General Studies 2:
- Issues identifying with the advancement and the executives of Social Sector/Services identifying with Health
- Welfare plans for helpless areas of the populace by the Center and States and the exhibition of these plans
Nutrition and Budget’s fine print
The Global Hunger Index detailed that India experiences “genuine” hunger, positioned 102 out of 117 nations and that only a tenth of youngsters between six to 23 months is nourished a base satisfactory eating routine.
Lack of healthy sustenance – A condition that outcomes from eating an eating regimen wherein at least one supplements are either insufficient or are excessive.
In any case, there are holes in governments strategy and budgetary distribution when managing nourishment in India, a portion of these are:
However, there are gaps in governments policy and budgetary allocation when dealing with nutrition in India, some of these are:
First calorific deficiency
- The Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) conspire gives a bundle of administrations including advantageous sustenance, nourishment and wellbeing training, wellbeing registration and referral administrations.
- ICSD attempts to handle calorific lack of kids, pregnant and lactating moms and youthful young ladies, and key local gatherings.
- For 2019-20, the allocation was Rs. 27,584.37 crore yet reexamined gauges are Rs. 24,954.50 crore, which focuses on an underutilisation of assets.
- Another pathway to address hunger is the Mid-Day Meal Scheme, to upgrade the sustenance of schoolchildren.
- Here as well, the issue has been with poor use. The 2019-20 Budget assignment was Rs. 11,000 crore and reconsidered gauges are just Rs. 9,912 crore
Second is protein hunger
- Heartbeats are a significant supporter of address protein hunger.
- Be that as it may, a plan for State and Union Territories means to venture beats into welfare plans (Mid-Day Meal, Public Distribution System, ICDS) has overhauled gauges remaining at just Rs. 370 crore against Rs. 800 crore portion in the 2019-20 Budget.
Third is Micronutrient deficiency
- Cultivation Mission – which can be one of the approaches to address micronutrient insufficiency – likewise has poor execution.
- Reexamined gauges for 2019-20 remained at Rs. 1,583.50 crores against a designation of Rs. 2,225 crore.
- As millets can possibly address micronutrient insufficiencies, the energy given to these oats through its consideration in NFSM (National Food Security Mission) should be continued.
- Be that as it may, the NFSM strains to execute the allotment of ₹2,000 crores during 2019-20, as reexamined consumptions remain at ₹1,776.90 crores.
Fourth is a weakness in POSHAN Abhiyan
- Under POSHAN Abhiyaan, the National Nutrition Mission which is a significant activity to address unhealthiness, the focal point of the majority of the subsidizing has been on innovation, though, really, it is a union that is vital to address sustenance.
- The Initiative likewise found by and large that solitary 34% of assets discharged by the Government of India were spent from FY 2017-18 to FY 2019-20 till November 30, 2019.
Effect of underspending: portions for resulting years will likewise be influenced, constraining the chance of expanding spending plans
Following are suggestions to move forward:
- Concentrate on nourishment related mediations, past digitisation.
- Strengthen the assembly segment of POSHAN Abhiyaan, utilizing the stage to get all divisions one spot to address nourishment
- To shape 10,000 rancher maker associations with a portion of Rs. 500 crore to sustenance based exercises
- Advancement of youth plans to be coordinated to sustenance agribusiness interface exercises in country regions
- Give unequivocal accentuation and reserve distribution to horticulture nourishment connected plans
- Guarantee early payment of assets and ideal use of plans connected to nourishment.
Sustenance goes past only nourishment, with monetary, wellbeing, water sanitation, sexual orientation points of view and social standards adding to better sustenance.
This is the reason the usage of numerous plans can add to better sustenance.
Did You Know?
- The connection among farming and sustenance is significant in light of the fact that around three-fifths of country family units are rural in India and lack of healthy sustenance rates, especially in rustic territories are high.
- The Bharatiya Poshan Krishi Kosh (BPKK) which was propelled in 2019 by Minister for Women and Child Development and Microsoft is an ongoing endeavour to connect this hole
- BPKK is an archive of various yields across agro-climatic zones in India for better healthful results
Connecting the dots!
- Lack of healthy sustenance’s effect on GDP and SDG objective 2 of ‘Zero Hunger’ by 2030.
- The pervasiveness of Obesity in India-reasons and arrangements
Topic: General Studies 3:
- Indian Economy and issues identifying with arranging, activation, of assets, development, improvement and business
- Government Budgeting.
Disinvestment of LIC: Is India short-selling the family silver?
The public sector in India is a picture of contradictions.
- It inspires mocking and criticize in showcase circles. The administration is regretful about it with experts are requesting for its disassembly referring to its unimportance
- Simultaneously, when markets are on a free fall, financial specialists take a gander at open division elements like LIC to rescue them
Notwithstanding the privatization wave over the world, the scope and impact of state-possessed
enterprises (SOEs) keeps growing.
- As indicated by OECD, there are around 40 nations in the created and creating the world (barring China) having SOEs esteemed at $2.5 trillion and utilizing almost 10 million individuals
- Furthermore, governments hold minority shareholdings esteemed at $912 billion, utilizing 2.8 million individuals.
- Account (26 percent), power and gas (21) and transport (18) are the significant divisions where SOEs have a critical nearness in esteem terms.
- China’s money related SOEs together hold $34 trillion of benefits contrasted with non-monetary SOEs’ $26 trillion.
- They utilize millions and structure a huge piece of worldwide GDP
- China SOEs are arranged into different businesses for accumulating incomes for the administration to keep up monetary solidness.
- Key industries (defence, electricity, oil, aviation, rail, shipping, etc)
- Pillar industries (autos, chemicals, construction, electronics) and
- Normal industries (tourism, pharma, investment)
Divestment of the public sector is not something unusual in emerging markets.
- A large group of huge SOEs with huge IPOs like Agriculture Bank of China ($22 billion), ICBC ($22 billion), Bank of China ($11 billion), Rosneft ($11 billion) are motivations for some developing economies.
- China has recorded all its four significant insurance agencies. China Life, the nation’s greatest safety net provider brought $3 billion up in 2003 when the market was down; Ping A made $5 billion out of 2007 at its pinnacle; China Pacific earned $3.1 billion out of 2009.
- Indeed, even General Motors of the US, which pulled off the greatest IPO in 2010 at $23 billion, was 61% possessed by the US government at that point; this tumbled to 33% after the offer issue
- Huge IPOs of SOEs in India, for example, Coal India ($3.3 billion), ONGC (2.2 billion) and GIC (1.6 billion) may look imperfect contrasted with organizations of comparable stature and centrality in different nations
Concern about Disinvestment
- The inquiry over disinvestment is about how and when — selling them for addressing quick needs or subsequent to making them sufficiently able to pull in worldwide premium.
- The worry in this way is whether India can understand the full worth these organizations hold or is it excessively rushed in liquidating out.
The case of LIC
- On the net premiums composed, LIC, with $48.9 billion (December 2018), is set 17 among the 25 top worldwide backup plans and 21st based on non-banking resources (Global Insurance Market Trends, OECD 2019).
- On premiums composed, LIC’s is $100 billion not exactly top-positioned UnitedHealth Group of the US ($156 billion), and about $50 billion not as much as Ping An of China (fourth position).
- Premium composed by Ping An is twofold of LIC’s
- As far as non-banking resources, LIC’s $438 billion is not exactly 50% of Allianz’s $1 trillion.
- Then again, net cases paid by India’s protection segment at 17.2% throughout everyday life and 15.9% in non-life are on the higher side when contrasted and those in the US (2.8/4.6 percent) and Korea (6.9/12.3 percent).
Doubts over Utility of Listing
- Numerous open division manages an account with incredible posting history two decades back been converged to spare the financial business
- Development and solidness in the locales of Africa, Latin America and Eastern Europe after widespread privatization are not substantively better when contrasted with Asia, which to a great extent flourishes with development driven by a huge open area.
- It is the dynamic help of the express that empowered Chinese budgetary firms to clean up a large portion of the new capital issuance on the planet.
An auction to raise speedy money won’t be such a compelling path over the long haul for an economy in the quest for worldwide authority. Selling family silver is simple, however, making treasures that a family can invest wholeheartedly in is troublesome.
Connecting the dots
- Air India disinvestment
- BSNL and MTNL performance
- Need for Public Broadcaster in the form of AIR/Doordarshan
(TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE)
Model questions: (You can now post your answers in the comment section)
Q1. The sea coast of which one of the following states has become famous as a nesting place for the giant Olive Ridley turtles from South America?
- Tamil Nadu
Q2. Match List I with List-II and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists:
List I (Rivers) List-II (Dams)
- Cauvery 1. Alamat
- Krishna 2. Mettur
- Narmada 3. Gandhi Sagar
- Chambal 4. Sardar Sarovar
- A-1; B- 4; C-2; D-3
- A-2; B-1; C-4; D-3
- A-2; B-1; C-3; D-4
- A-1; B-3; C-4; D-2
Q3. In India, in the overall Index of Industrial Production, the Indices of Eight Core Industries have a combined weight of 37.90%. Which of the following is among those Eight Core Industries?
- Natural gas
- Refinery products
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
- 1 and 5 only
- 2, 3 and 4 only
- 1, 2, 3 and 4 only
- 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5