Highlights |UPSC Exam Current Affairs 31-07-2019
Current Affairs and News (31-07-2019)- The following article contains all the updated events and news for IAS Preparation. Our daily IAS Current Affairs and News cover the most important topics to give precise information to the reader and IAS Aspirants.
- First CAG report on GST
- Bills to curb Mob lynching
- Electric Buses
- Triple Talaq Bill passed in Rajyasabha
- ODISHA MODEL OF EMPOWERING WOMEN
Importance of Current Affairs in IAS Coaching
Watch Video – UPSC Exam Current Affairs 31-07-2019
Video Source – Shankar IAS Academy
find top institutes for IAS coaching
UPSC Exam Current Affairs 31-07-2019 are followed in the part below:
UPSC Exam Current Affairs and News Analysis (31-07-2019)
First CAG report on GST
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains GS- III – Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization, of resources.
A portion of the discoveries of the report are:
- Government had neglected to evaluate the framework before its rollout, prompting insufficient consistency components, and lower charge incomes
- Considerably following two years of rollout of GST, framework approved Input Tax Credit through ‘receipt coordinating’ isn’t set up.
- The unpredictability of the arrival instrument and the specialized glitches brought about rollback of receipt coordinating, rendering the framework inclined to Input Tax Credit fakes
- Without receipt coordinating and auto age of discounts, appraisals, and so on, the imagined GST charge consistence framework is non-practical (bringing about the falling number of profits recorded quite a long time after a month)
- The administration had not been adhering to the principles set out with respect to the exchange of income to the States.
- There has been an absence of coordination between the Department of Revenue, the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs and the GST Network
Do you know?
- The new roundabout assessment system – GST – had kicked in July 2017.
- The change charge structure is planned for decreasing assessment falling, introducing a typical market for products and ventures and acquiring a streamlined, automatic and non-meddling expense consistence system.
- CAG is a Constitutional body established under Article 148 designated by the President by warrant under his hand and seal.
Bills to curb Mob lynching
Part of: Mains GS I- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
- Rajasthan State Assembly has tabled Bill against mob lynching, making them cognizable, non-bailable and non-compoundable offenses with life imprisonment and fine up to Rs 5 lakh.
- The Bill defines a “mob” as a group of two or more individuals.
- “Lynching” is described as an act or series of acts of violence, whether spontaneous or planned, by a mob on the grounds of religion, race, caste, sex, place of birth, language, dietary practices, sexual orientation, political affiliation, and ethnicity
- The statement of objects and reasons of the Bill mentions the Supreme Court’s recommendation to enact legislation against the mob lynching.
- In recent past, there has been a spurt in mob lynching resulting in loss of livelihood, injuries, and death of persons at the hands of mob
- A dedicated legislation along with provisions of India Penal Code will help nip the evil in bud and provide support for victims of such cases
Part of: Mains GS III- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, etc.
- Niti Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant announced that an inter-ministerial panel has sanctioned 5,645 electric buses for operations in 65 cities and for intercity operations to 8 state transport undertakings.
- This will give huge impetus to the automobile sector, clean up our cities & drive Make in India.
- Some of the measures taken to popularise environment-friendly electric vehicles are:
- GST Council headed by Finance Minister decided to cut the tax rates on e-vehicles from 12 percent to 5 percent with effect from August 1, 2019
- In the Union Budget 2019-20, the government proposed additional income tax deduction of Rs 1.5 lakh on the interest paid on loans taken to purchase electric vehicles
- Certain parts of EVs have been exempted from customs duty
- The Centre has also approved Rs 10,000 crore under the FAME II scheme, which aims to encourage faster adoption of such vehicles by right incentives and charging infrastructure
Do you know?
- EVs are considered as sunrise opportunities as India has over 72% two-wheelers.
- Niti Aayog has proposed that two-wheelers below the capacity of 150cc sold in the country after March 31, 2025, should be electric ones only.
- It also proposed that three-wheelers sold in the country after March 31, 2023, should be electric ones.
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains GS III- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways
- The Mumbai-Pune Hyperloop project received a push with the Maharashtra Cabinet approving to appoint a consortium of DP World and Hyperloop Technologies as its Original Project Proponent (OPP).
- With Hyperloop travel the 150-km journey between Mumbai and Pune will be cut down to just 23 minutes, turning the region into one megacity.
- The project is given a ‘public infrastructure’ status, which will enable it easier access to funds and concessions.
- The project will improve connectivity for the 2.6 crore residents of both cities, and expect 15 crore people to use the service annually.
- If all goes well India could be the first country in the world to officially commission a hyperloop.
- The project is being carried out by the Pune Metropolitan Regional Development Authority (PMRDA) and is said to have a total investment of Rs 70,000 crore.
- Hyperloop is a high-speed mode of transportation, where a pod-like vehicle travels through a sealed tube at near the speed of an airline.
TOPIC: General Studies 2
- Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes
Triple Talaq Bill passed in Rajyasabha
- The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2019, better known as the Triple Talaq Bill, was passed in the Rajya Sabha.
What is the triple talaq?
- ‘Triple Talaq’ or ‘Oral talaq’ is a procedure of divorce mentioned under the Sharia Law which is a body of Islamic law. Under this, a husband can divorce his wife by pronouncing ‘Talaq’ thrice.
What is instant triple talaq?
- In the act of talaq-e-bidden, when a man articulates talaq thrice in a sitting, or through telephone, or writes in a talaq-name or an instant message, the separation is viewed as prompt and unalterable, regardless of whether the man later wishes to re-pacify. Be that as it may, Women can’t articulate triple talaq and are required to move a court for getting the separation under the Sharia Act, 1937.
- There are three types of talaq (separate) in Islam: Ahsan, Hasan, and Talaq-e-Biddat (triple or moment talaq). Ahsan and Hasan are revocable yet talaq-e-Biddat is permanent.
- In this way, since Shariat Act had perceived triple talaq, it was never again an individual law to stay free of the shackles of the essential rights meticulousness yet a statutory law which goes under the ambit of Article 13(1) of the Constitution
- In the Shah Bano case in 1985, the SC conceded Shah Bano, a 62-year elderly person the privilege to provision from her significant other.
- However, in 1986, the administration passed the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Divorce) Act which weakened the positive effect made by the Shah Bano case.
- In 2001, in the Danial Latifi and Anr versus Union of India case, the SC maintained the legitimacy of the Shah Bano judgment.
- In August 2017, a five-judge seat of the SC proclaimed the triple talaq as illegal in a lion’s share 3:2 judgment. This was the summit of an appeal recorded by Shayara Bano, whose spouse of 15 years had separated from her through a letter where he articulated talaq multiple times, to proclaim the separation as void.
Triple Talaq bill
- During the procedures of the case, the inside had told the seat that it will turn out with an enactment to control the marriage and separation among Muslims. As detailed by different papers, the middle is good to go to table the bill in the Lok Sabha. The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill 2017 tries to condemn moment triple talaq.
- The bill will make moment triple talaq a cognizable and non-bailable offense
- The bill tries to force a jail term of as long as three years and fine for any Muslim man who separates from his significant other through moment triple talaq
- It likewise makes an arrangement for provision for example subsistence recompense for the Muslim ladies and furthermore concedes her the guardianship of the minor kid
What do the supporters of triple talaq say?
All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB), a non-administrative body that directs the use of Muslim individual law, in a sworn statement under the steady gaze of the court had kept up that courts couldn’t choose matters of strict practices and it is for the council to outline a law. AIMPLB is additionally of the supposition that the issue has been made a huge deal about by the media and the far-rightist gatherings.
Numerous people group pioneers additionally consider this to be an obstruction in what they call as strict privileges of Muslims as India has an arrangement for individual laws for every single strict network. They have additionally guaranteed that training will proceed as in the past, regardless of the lawful feeling.
Empowering Muslim Women
Preeminent Court: In August 2017 the Supreme Court in a milestone decision had held that the act of triple talaq damages the established privileges of Muslim women. The triple talaq must go under the ambit of Article-13. The individual law can never again benefit over central rights. Further, SC coordinated focal govt to authorize a law that makes triple talaq an offense.
Offering rights to ladies: The triple talaq bill passed by parliament, it will shield ladies who experience the ill effects of moment talaq. Talaq won’t be singular, the ladies can likewise put their ground. The judgment will be given as per law and none of the accomplices will endure. Different laws for ladies are Anti endowment Act 1961 and The Domestic Violence Act 2005
Arguments against triple talaq
- It conflicts with the privileges of correspondence and ladies’ strengthening. It engenders the strength of men over ladies.
- As indicated by an examination, 92% of Muslim ladies in India needed the triple talaq to be prohibited.
- It gave men the privilege to self-assertively separate from their spouses with no legitimate explanation.
- New-age innovation has brought forth new methods of triple talaq, for example, through skype, instant messages and email.
- Numerous Islamic nations have banned this work on including Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Indonesia. There is no explanation behind a vote based and common India to proceed with this unbalanced practice.
- It conflicts with the sacred standards of sex equity, secularism, right to life of nobility, and so on. It conflicts with Article 14 (Right to Equality) and Article 15(1) which expresses that there will be no oppression any resident based on sex, race, and so on and this sort of talaq is one-sided against the interests of ladies.
- The constitution of the nation says that it will endeavor to bring a uniform common code for the whole nation. Getting rid of triple talaq will be a bit nearer to the constitution-producers’ fantasy about having a uniform common code for all residents.
- In any case, the National Commission of Women says that this issue can’t be connected to uniform common code. In any case, it ought to be prohibited so as to secure the interests of Muslim ladies.
- The Supreme Court has additionally announced that this training is unlawful and not ensured by Article 25 which respects the opportunity of religion. Likewise in December 2016, the Allahabad High Court had said that no close to home law board was over the constitution.
- Specialists likewise opine that lone the fundamental or necessary highlights and parts of religion are ensured by the Constitution. Triple talaq was not an indispensable element of Islam.
Challenges in banning triple talaq:
- Strict gatherings construe the forbidding of a conventional practice purified by Sharia as meddling in the strict parts of minorities.
- The courts ought to choose two things fundamentally:
- Regardless of whether individual law can be dependent upon the constitution or not
- Step by step instructions to see the connection between triple talaq and Muslim individual law
The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2019
This was presented in Lok Sabha by the Minister of Law and Justice, Mr. Ravi Shankar Prasad on June 21, 2019. It replaces an Ordinance declared on February 21, 2019.
The Bill makes all statements of talaq, remembering for composed or electronic structure, to be void (for example not enforceable in law) and illicit.
- The Bill makes the revelation of talaq a cognizable offense, pulling in as long as three years’ detainment with a fine. (A cognizable offense is one for which a cop may capture a charged individual without a warrant.)
- The offense will be cognizable just if data identifying with the offense is given by:
- the wedded lady (against whom talaq has been pronounced), or any individual identified with her by blood or marriage.
- The Bill gives that the Magistrate may give bail to the blamed.
- The bail might be allowed simply in the wake of hearing the lady (against whom talaq has been articulated), and if the Magistrate is fulfilled that there are sensible reasons for giving bail.
- The offense might be exacerbated by the Magistrate upon the solicitation of the lady (against whom talaq has been pronounced). Exacerbating alludes to the technique where the consent of the different sides to stop lawful procedures, and settle the debate.
- The terms and states of the exacerbating of the offense will be controlled by the Magistrate.
- A Muslim lady against whom talaq has been announced is qualified to look for subsistence recompense from her significant other for herself and for her reliant kids. The measure of the remittance will be dictated by the Magistrate.
- A Muslim lady against whom such talaq has been proclaimed is qualified to look for the authority of her minor kids. The way of guardianship will be dictated by the Magistrate.
Triple talaq has been one of the most discussed issues in recent years in India as it is additionally associated with different issues, for example, secularism and uniform common code and so forth. Anyway, it is essential to remember that what is in question here is the respect of ladies and their privileges and any transition to politicize the issue will fix the endeavors and battle of Muslim ladies for equivalent rights.
Connecting the dots:
- Ladies’ rights are progressively making space in male commanded society. Recognize territories that discuss ladies’ battle for their privileges and break down it.
- Triple talaq decision has been hailed as a dynamic judgment. Investigate your assessment in regards to the equivalent
General studies 1:
- Role of women and women’s organization, women related issues, Social empowerment
General studies 2:
- Mechanisms, laws, institutions, and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections
ODISHA MODEL OF EMPOWERING WOMEN
- The different States could submit a general direction to Odisha, which has enabled ladies politically and monetarily
- The quantity of ladies taking influential positions in India is somewhat little contrasted with the worldwide normal.
- The portrayal of ladies MPs in the seventeenth Lok Sabha has seen an improvement from 11% in 2014 to 14% in 2019, however, it is still lower than the world normal of 24.3%.
- In 2019, 715 ladies’ competitors challenged the Lok Sabha political decision, while the number of men who challenged remained at 7,334.
Achievements of Odisha model by empowering women:
- The state government was among the first to hold half of the seats in Panchayati Raj organizations for ladies.
- Further, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik designated ladies for 33% of the seats in the Lok Sabha political race.
- Consequently, seven applicants out of 21 handled by the gathering for the 2019 political race were ladies.
- The achievement rate among the ladies up-and-comers was higher than for men, as five out of seven won the races.
- Starting at now, Odisha has six lakh self-improvement gatherings with 7,000,000 ladies under its leader ‘Strategic’ program.
- The program targets engaging ladies by helping them start to pay for creating exercises.
- The self-improvement gatherings are connected to the Odisha Livelihoods Mission and Odisha Rural Development and Marketing Society.
- Individuals from the self-improvement gatherings are urged to sell items at fairs and show sorted out by the State round the year.
- This offers them a chance to traverse various pieces of the State and increase more noteworthy presentations.
- The State government had reported an intrigue free credit of Rs. 3 lakh in January 2019 to every one of the self-improvement gatherings.
- This sum was expanded to Rs. 5 lakh just before the general political decision.
- The Women and Child Development Department have been rechristened as the Women and Child Development and Mission Shakti Department.
- The state government has reported a few sops like cell phones, the grant of work contracts, and higher qualifications in the State’s medical coverage conspire, ostensibly better than the national level plan, Ayushman Bharat.
- The State government has declared mishap protection conspire for all individuals from self-improvement gatherings
- During the time spent strengthening ladies ought to think about their qualities and shortcoming openings and dangers and push ahead to unfurl their own capability to accomplish their objectives through self-advancement . in our nation enabling ladies through big business, advancement has become a fundamental piece of our improvement endeavors because of three significant favorable position business visionaries, financial development, and social security.
Connecting the dots:
- SHGs in India are the living epitome of an idea that has prompted ladies’ strengthening. Be that as it may, the examples of overcoming adversity are not many and far in the middle. Do you concur? Do you think the fruitful models of SHGs ought to be received on a lot more extensive scale? What are the limitations?
- Genuine strengthening of ladies lies in guaranteeing their monetary freedom. Do you concur? Validate.
(TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE)
Model questions: (You can now post your answers in the comment section)
- Featured Comments and comments Up-voted by whataftercollege are the “correct answers”.
Q.1) Which of the following duties is NOT performed by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
- Audit and report on all expenditure from the consolidated fund of India.
- Audit and report on all expenditures from the contingency funds and Public Accounts.
- To Audit the report on All Trading manufacturing, profit and loss accounts.
- To control the receipt and issue of Public Money, and to ensure that the public revenue is lodged in the exchequer.
Q.2) Consider the following statements.
- The CAG is an agent of the Parliament and conducts an audit of expenditure on behalf of the Parliament.
- CAG submits his audit reports relating to the accounts of state to the Governor of that state.
- CAG holds office for a period of five years or up to the age of 65 years.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1,2 and 3
Q.3) Consider the following statements
- GST Council headed by Prime Minister decided to cut the tax rates on e-vehicles from 12 % to 5% with effect from August 1, 2019
- Department of Heavy Industry is implementing FAME-India Scheme
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
Q.4) Consider the following statements
- Hyperloop technology is a system of magnetically levitating capsules (pods) that are sent at high speeds through low-pressure tubes
- Mumbai-Pune Hyperloop project is being carried out by the Ministry of Railway
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2