Highlights |UPSC Exam Current Affairs 23-01-2020
UPSC exam current affairs 23-01-2020 The following article contains all the updated events and news for IAS Preparation. Our daily IAS Current Affairs and News cover the most important topics to give precise information to the reader and IAS Aspirants.
- Blue Corner notice, issued against Nithyananda
- United Nations Military Observer Group for India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP)
- Indian Polity
- Agriculture & Environment
Watch Video – UPSC Exam Current Affairs 23-01-2020
Video Source – Shankar IAS Academy
find top institutes for IAS coaching
UPSC Exam Current Affairs 23-01-2020 are followed in the part below:
UPSC Exam Current Affairs and News Analysis (23-01-2020)
Blue Corner notice, issued against Nithyananda
Part of: GS Prelims Polity and GS Mains II–International organization
The Interpol has given a blue corner notice to help find so-called godman Nithyananda.
Prelims Point of View
- Notification is global solicitations for collaboration or alarms permitting police in part nations to share basic wrongdoing related data.
- There are seven kinds of notification — Red Notice, Yellow Notice, Blue Notice, Black Notice, Green Notice, Orange Notice, and Purple Notice.
China Myanmar Economic Corridor
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains II– Foreign relations
- China’s President Xi Jinping will visit Myanmar to check the 70th commemoration of the foundation of conciliatory relations among China and Myanmar.
- President’s visit will concentrate on the three mainstays of the China Myanmar Economic Corridor (CMEC)— the Kyaukpyu Special Economic Zone, the China-Myanmar Border Economic Cooperation Zone and the New Yangon City.
From Prelims Point of View
China-Myanmar Economic Corridor (CMEC)
- China-Myanmar Economic Corridor (CMEC) is various foundation ventures supporting availability among Myanmar and China. It is a monetary hall of the Belt and Road Initiative.
- building street and rail transportation from Yunnan Province in China through Muse and Mandalay to Kyaukpyu in Rakhine State.
- Rakhine state is additionally in news due to Rohingya emergency
United Nations Military Observer Group for India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP)
Part of: GS Prelims Polity and GS Mains II–India’s Neighborhood relations
Imran Khan asks US and United Nations to enable de-to raise strain between India, Pakistan
From Prelims Point Of View:
- India took Jammu Kashmir matter to the UN Security Council which built up the United Nations Commission for India and Pakistan (UNCIP) to research the issues and intercede between the two nations.
- Following the truce of threats, it additionally settled the United Nations Military Observer Group for India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) to screen the truce line.
India drops 10 ranks in Democracy Index
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains II– Democracy
- India slipped 10 places in the 2019 worldwide positioning to 51st spot.
- The normal worldwide score additionally recorded its most exceedingly awful worth ever, down from 5.48 in 2018 to 5.44, driven by a sharp relapse in Latin America and Sub-Saharan Africa, a lesser one in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) locale, and by stagnation in the rest of the districts that were secured.
- The report, “A time of just misfortunes and well-known dissent”, was finished by The Economist Intelligence Unit — the examination and investigation division of The Economist Group.
The Middle East and North Africa (MENA)
Miscellaneous Topics for Prelims
- Brahmakalashothsava celebration is praised in the old Chandkuru Sri Durga Parameshwari Temple yearly in Polali, Dakshina Kannada locale in Karnataka
- Mein Kampf (My Struggle or My Fight) is a 1925 self-portraying proclamation by Nazi Party pioneer Adolf Hitler.
- The work depicts the procedure by which Hitler got prejudiced and diagrams his political philosophy and likely arrangements for Germany.
On Speakers and disqualification
A landmark judgment in Kihoto Hollohan (1992)
- Maintained the legitimacy of the Constitution’s Tenth Schedule, or the counter abandonment law.
- This decision had likewise made the Speaker’s structure dependent upon legal survey on constrained grounds.
Constitution Bench judgment (Rajendra Singh Rana, 2007)
- The Uttar Pradesh Speaker’s organization declining to preclude 13 BSP turncoats was put aside on the ground that he had neglected to practice his ward to choose whether they had pulled in preclusion while perceiving a ‘split’ in the assembly party.
Topic: General Studies 2:
- Parliament and State legislatures—structure, functioning, the conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
Speaker’s role in disqualification
The Supreme Court’s most recent choice on the Speaker as the settling authority under the counter deserting law.
About Anti-Defection Law
- The counter absconding law is contained in the Tenth Schedule of the Constitution and was authorized by Parliament Constitution (52nd Amendment) Act, 1985.
- Administrators used to change parties much of the time acquiring Political Instability and were additionally considered as selling out the order of voters (who decided in favour of the official thinking about his ideological group)
- The motivation behind the tenth Schedule is to check political absconding by the lawmakers. There are two grounds on which an individual from a lawmaking body can be excluded.
- One, if the member voluntarily gives up the membership of the party, he shall be disqualified.
- Second, if a legislator votes in the House against the direction of his party and his action is not condoned by his party, he can be disqualified.
- In any case, there is an exemption – The tenth Schedule says that if there is a merger between two ideological groups and 66% of the individuals from a lawmaking body party consent to the merger, they won’t be excluded.
- The Presiding officer of the House (Speaker/Chairman) is the mediating authority concerning preclusion of administrators under the Tenth Schedule
Criticism of the anti-defection Law
- Checks the ability to speak freely and articulation of legislators
- Oppression of Political Parties: Legislators need to keep the line taken by Political gatherings even it is against their own stand or against the enthusiasm of her body electorate
- The job of the Speaker is one-sided: Speaker who is an individual from an ideological group is frequently not impartial and goes under the impact of his ideological group as opposed to choosing the cases on merit
- Postponement in basic leadership: a few managing officials have permitted turncoats to support the quality of administering parties and even be confirmed Ministers by just forgoing mediating on grievances against them
Supreme Court Judgements in Kihoto Hollohan (1992) case:
- Five Judge Bench of SC maintained the legitimacy of the Constitution’s Tenth Schedule or the counter abandonment law.
- It was likewise held for this situation that a Speaker or a Chairman, acting Tenth Schedule, is a Tribunal and along these lines, his optional forces were ensured by Constitution.(dissenting minority see by Justice JS Verma who scrutinized the reasonableness of speaker in arbitration)
- This decision had additionally made the Speaker’s organization dependent upon legal audit on restricted grounds and that simple procedural ailment couldn’t quick legal intercession.
- It was likewise held that a legal survey can’t be accessible at a phase before the creation of a choice by the Speaker/Chairman.
Recent Supreme Court judgement on the role of Speaker
Foundation: The top court was hearing the intrigue of Congress pioneer against the Manipur High Court request. The High had wouldn’t immediate Speaker to choose preclusion of another Congress official who had abandoned to BJP and made clergyman.
Following are the pronouncements of the SC in this case
- The Speakers ought to choose Tenth Schedule preclusions inside a sensible period. Except if there were “extraordinary conditions”, exclusion petitions under the Tenth Schedule ought to be chosen by Speakers inside a quarter of a year (This inquiry on timespan raised by a two-judge seat of Supreme Court in S.A. Sampath Kumar versus Kale Yadaiah, 2016 case)
- Requested that the Parliament consider having an autonomous and changeless body to choose exclusion appeal. Given the way that a Speaker has a place with a specific ideological group, the Court mooted this thought, which requires a correction to the constitution.
- Likewise, Speaker wasn’t arbitrating political race questions or preclusion of individuals under Articles 103/192/329 in light of current circumstances, on the grounds that their reasonableness could be suspected.
- The Constitution is known as a living archive due to its capacity to develop and change with time and conditions. Obviously, the Tenth Schedule has missed the mark in satisfying its target of forestalling surrenders and needs a relook.
- Parliament must fix this blemish and foundation a council perceiving the importance of hostile to absconding arrangements in maintaining the holiness of Parliament.
Connecting the dots
- Speakers role in deciding whether the bill is a money bill or not
- Britain’s model of Speaker’s post
Agriculture & Environment
Topic: General Studies 3:
- Major crops-cropping patterns in various parts of the country,
- Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices;
- Awareness in the fields of Biotechnology
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
India’s Cotton Story
India’s Cotton Productivity is low in contrast with other significant cotton creating countries despite India expected to be the world’s biggest cotton maker this year outperforming China
Hereditarily Modified (GM) bug safe Bt cotton half and halves have caught the Indian market since their presentation in 2002. These now spread over 95% of the territory under cotton, with the seeds delivered completely by the private part.
India’s cotton generation in 2019 is anticipated as the most elevated ever: 354 lakh parcels. This triple increment in cotton generation during recent decades is utilized by the defender of GM yields to stretch out the innovation to different harvests also
India is the main nation that develops cotton as half and halves and the first to create crossbreed cotton in 1970
Difference between hybrids and varieties
|Varieties (Used in Brazil)||Hybrids (Used in India since the 1970s)|
|Varieties are those for which seeds are produced by self-fertilization.||Hybrids are made by crossing two parent strains having different genetic characters. These plants have more biomass than both parents and capacity for greater yields|
|Varieties can be propagated over successive generations by collecting seeds from one planting and using them for the next planting;||Hybrid seeds have to be remade for each planting by crossing the parents. So for hybrids, farmers must purchase seed for each planting. Increased dependence on seed companies|
|High-Density Planting (HDP) Methodology: These varieties are planted at high density (5 kg seeds/acre)||Hybrids are planted at ten-fold lower density (0.5 kg seeds/acre).|
|They are compact and short duration.||hybrids in India are bushy and long duration|
|Lower boll production by compact varieties (5-10 bolls per plant) – compensated by high density||High boll production (20-100 bolls/plant)|
|Cotton is a dryland crop; therefore, shorter duration variety has a major advantage as it reduces dependence on irrigation||65% of the area under cotton in India is rain-fed. Farmers with insufficient access to groundwater in these areas are entirely dependent on rain. Thus risk associated with hybrid cotton cultivation is higher due to unpredictability of rains|
|The low requirement of fertilizer (100 kg/ha for varieties)||High fertilizer requirement: 200 kg/ha for hybrids|
|less vulnerability to damage from insect pests due to a shorter field duration.||High vulnerability to damage from insect pests due to a longer field duration.|
|Low water requirement||High water requirement|
|Low cost of seeds||High Cost of Hybrid seeds. Increased yield from a hybrid is supposed to justify the high price|
A half breed model is substandard compared to the HDP model being utilized in different nations on three significant tallies: much lower efficiency; higher info costs; and expanded hazard especially for low asset ranchers in downpour sustained territories.
The lofty increment in profitability for Brazil, from 400 to 1,000 kg/hectare build up somewhere in the range of 1994 and 2000 corresponds with the enormous scale move to a non-GM reduced assortment.
Why the HDP model not adopted despite having advantages for India?
- During the First Phase (From 1980 to 2002): Hybrids were advanced at the expense of Compact assortments. This was principal because of the shortcoming of rural research foundation who neglected to distinguish the advantages of reduced assortments
- The second stage (2002 onwards): During the presentation of GM Bt half and half seeds. In any case, the extent of assessment by the GM administrative procedure in India was restricted and didn’t consider the structure wherein it would be conveyed (half and halves versus assortments)
Thus, business Bt crossbreeds have totally assumed control over the market, joined by the withdrawal of open segment cotton seed creation.
The Indian cotton rancher today is left with a minimal decision yet to utilize Bt cross breed seed created by private seed organizations. The present yearly estimation of cotton seed utilized for planting is about ₹2,500 crore, and that of build-up cotton delivered is ₹68,000 crore.
Almost certainly, creation levels could have been a lot higher, with impressively lower hazard and info costs, had minimal assortments been created and utilized in India, particularly given the farming trouble looked in India.
- We should be evident that the result of utilizing an innovation, for example, Bt is dictated by the setting in which it is sent, and not simply by the innovation itself. Brazil (until 2012) and Turkey (up to the present) have accomplished high efficiency without the utilization of GM cotton by utilizing elective irritation the board draws near.
- There is a requirement for better discussion in approach, be it agribusiness all in all or harvest savvy. Financial and need-based contemplations ought to be a piece of GMO administrative procedure in India.
Connecting the Dots
- Bt Brinjal Controversy
- Genetic Engineering in other fields – Medicines, disease prevention and cure.
(TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE)
Model questions: (You can now post your answers in the comment section)
Q.1) Other than India and China, which one of the following groups of countries border Myanmar?
- Bangladesh, Thailand and Vietnam
- Cambodia, Laos and Malaysia
- Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia
- Thailand, Laos and Bangladesh
Q.2) Consider the following pairs:
Community sometimes in the affairs of mentioned in the news
- Kurd Bangladesh
- Madhesi Nepal
- Rohingya Myanmar
Which of the pairs given above is/are correctly matched?
- 1 and 2
- 2 only
- 2 and 3
- 3 only