Highlights |UPSC Exam Current Affairs 24-01-2020
UPSC exam current affairs 24-01-2020 The following article contains all the updated events and news for IAS Preparation. Our daily IAS Current Affairs and News cover the most important topics to give precise information to the reader and IAS Aspirants.
- Novel Coronavirus (2019-Nov)
- Inland Waterways Authority of India
- Centre refuses to give more funds to Kerala for flood relief
- China’s Novel Coronavirus (2019-Nov)
- Human Rights/ Refugee
Watch Video – UPSC Exam Current Affairs 24-01-2020
Video Source – Shankar IAS Academy
find top institutes for IAS coaching
UPSC Exam Current Affairs 24-01-2020 are followed in the part below:
UPSC Exam Current Affairs and News Analysis (24-01-2020)
Novel Coronavirus (2019-Nov)
In news: From Prelims Point of View:
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is an infection (all the more explicitly, a coronavirus) recognized as the reason for an episode of respiratory sickness initially distinguished in Wuhan, China.
Mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms of:
- shortness of breath
Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum 2020
This year is the 50th Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum in Davos
From Prelims Point of View:
The World Economic Forum (WEF)
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) is a Swiss charitable establishment built up in 1971, situated in Geneva, Switzerland.
Major reports published by WEF are:
- Global Competitiveness Report
- Global IT Report
- Global Gender Gap Report
- Global Risk Report
- Global Travel and Tourism Report
Inland Waterways Authority of India
- IWAI is the statutory body responsible for the conduits in India.
- Its base camp is situated in Noida, UP.
- Its fundamental capacity is to construct the essential framework in the inland conduits, studying the financial plausibility of new activities and furthermore completing organization and guideline.
- It attempts ventures for improvement and support of IWT framework on national conduits through award got from the Ministry of Shipping.
Goa Opposition disrupts assembly proceedings over Mahadayi river dispute
From Prelims Point of View:
Kalasa Banduri project
- The Center won’t permit any extra help to Kerala from the National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF) as it has neglected to create use endorsements for half of over ₹3,000 crores subsidize designated to it after the 2018 floods
- The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) is the peak statutory body for the catastrophe of the executives in India.
- The NDMA was officially comprised on 27th September 2006, as per the Disaster Management Act, 2005 with Prime Minister as its Chairperson and nine different individuals, and one such part to be assigned as Vice-Chairperson.
- In acknowledgement of the significance of Disaster Management as a national need, the Government of India set up a High-Powered Committee (HPC) in August 1999 and a National Committee after the Gujarat quake (2001).
Centre refuses to give more funds to Kerala for flood relief
According to the Constitutional system in India, kindness request to the President is the last protected hotel a convict, when he has been rebuffed by the courtroom. A convict can display a kindness request to the President of India under Article 72 of the Constitution of India.
From Prelims Point of View:
National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA)
- The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) is the apex statutory body for disaster management in India.
- The NDMA was formally constituted on 27th September 2006, in accordance with the Disaster Management Act, 2005 with Prime Minister as its Chairperson and nine other members, and one such member to be designated as Vice-Chairperson.
- In recognition of the importance of Disaster Management as a national priority, the Government of India set up a High-Powered Committee (HPC) in August 1999 and a National Committee after the Gujarat earthquake (2001).
- As per the Constitutional framework in India, mercy petition to the President is the last constitutional resort a convict, when he has been punished by the court of law. A convict can present a mercy petition to the President of India under Article 72 of the Constitution of India.
- Similarly, the power to grant pardon is conferred upon the Governors of States under Article 161 of the Constitution of India.
Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment Act
The Communist Party of India (Marxist) [CPI(M)] is making a sincere offer to avoid the column over the police pummeling the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act
From Prelims Point of View:
Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Amendment
- Looks to correct the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967
- UAPA furnishes unique methods to manage psychological oppressor exercises, in addition to other things.
- To assign people as fear mongers on specific grounds gave in the Act.
- The Bill engages the Director-General of NIA to give an endorsement of seizure or connection of property when the case is researched by the said office.
- The Bill engages the officials of the NIA, of the position of Inspector or above, to examine instances of psychological oppression.
Need for the Amendment
- India faces probably the most elevated danger of fear-mongering on the planet and subsequently, its counter-psychological warfare system must be stringent.
- The USA has an extremely fruitful case of counter-fear based oppression instrument, particularly after 9/11, and has been effective in controlling psychological militant exercises.
Topic: General Studies 2:
- Impact of approaches and governmental issues of created and creating nations on India’s inclinations, Indian diaspora.
- Issues identifying with the improvement and the executives of Social Sector/Services identifying with Health
China’s Novel Coronavirus (2019-Nov)
800+ cases have been accounted for and in any event, 25 individuals have passed on from another coronavirus in China following a flare-up in the focal city of Wuhan.
- As per WHO, coronaviruses are a group of infections that cause sickness running from the normal virus to progressively extreme respiratory disease (like SARS and MERS)
- The name “coronavirus” originates from the Latin word “crown”, which means crown or radiance. Under an electron magnifying instrument, the picture of the infection is suggestive of a sun-powered crown.
- A tale coronavirus, recognized by Chinese experts on January 7, 2020, and presently named 2019-nCoV, is another strain that had not been recently distinguished in people.
- Little is thought about the new infection however it is considered as a relative of SARS
Manifestations: Signs of disease incorporate respiratory side effects, fever, hack, the brevity of breath and breathing troubles. In progressively extreme cases, it can prompt pneumonia, serious intense respiratory disorder, kidney disappointment and even demise.
Birthplace: The disease from the new strain was followed to a Wuhan fish advertise, which likewise sold live creatures. The WHO additionally says a creature source shows up well on the way to be the essential wellspring of the flare-up.
Spread: Beyond China, Thailand has announced four cases, while South Korea, Taiwan, Japan and the United States have each affirmed one. Every one of these cases includes individuals who had either originated from Wuhan or been there as of late.
Transmission: Though these infections are zoonotic – transmitted from creatures to people there is proof of respiratory transmission of the novel coronavirus from human to human also.
What is being done to stop it spreading?
- There is no antibody for the new infection.
- Chinese specialists adequately closed Wuhan on 23rd Jan 2020, suspending flights and prepares out of the city and telling occupants they couldn’t leave without an extraordinary explanation.
- Chinese specialists have likewise ventured up observing and sanitization endeavours in front of the Lunar New Year break, which officially begins on 25th Jan during which a large number of the nation’s 1.4 billion individuals will travel locally and abroad.
- Air terminal specialists across Asia have immediately ventured up screening of travellers from Wuhan
- Wellbeing specialists are attempting to analyze and disengage cases as fast as could be expected under the circumstances and follow individuals patients have come into contact with to attempt to remain over the infection
WHO’s Standard suggestions to forestall contamination spread incorporates normal hand washing, covering mouth and nose when hacking and sniffling, altogether cooking meat and eggs. Stay away from close contact with anybody demonstrating indications of respiratory sickness, for example, hacking and sniffling.
Is it a global emergency?
- WHO said that however, this is a crisis in China. Be that as it may, it has not yet become a worldwide wellbeing crisis for example not yet general wellbeing crisis of global concern (PHEIC). It might yet get one in future.
- The PHEIC is characterized by the WHO as an unprecedented occasion that is resolved to comprise a general wellbeing danger to different states through the worldwide spread of ailment and to conceivably require a planned universal reaction.
- Shutdowns of urban communities like Wuhan (11 million occupants) can’t forestall human-to-human transmission inside the urban areas. Closing down whole urban areas go past the ordinary act of isolating contaminated individuals and might reverse discharge.
- WHO ought to effectively impact on the advancement of infection control measures and if the infection spreads to different nations, pronounce the episode a PHEIC
- 25 Indian understudies are caught in Wuhan city, accordingly, there is a requirement for Indian specialists to screen and help out Chinese partners to guarantee the security of Indians in China.
- Effect on the Economy particularly on Aviation division: Since it is the time of Chinese New year, the limitations on movement will affect the travel industry segment. Likewise, the dread of sickness spread and suspension of air travel forced by China in specific urban communities will have a knock-off global aeronautics segment (particularly Korean, Japanese, Singapore carriers)
Do You Know?
- SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), another coronavirus that started in China, originated from bats and the civet feline, which thus gave it to people.
- The early instances of this new contamination were followed toward the South China Seafood Wholesale Market. It in this manner rose in China in 2002 and spread to 30 nations with 8400+ cases and almost 800 passings
Connecting the dots
- Ebola Virus when WHO declared it as PHEIC
- Wuhan informal Summit in April 2018 – why? Outcome? Any follow up informal summit?
Human Rights/ Refugee
Topic:General Studies 3:
- Important International institutions, agencies and fora- their structure, mandate.
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests.
ICJ’s ruling on Myanmar Rohingya
In a collectively governed request given by a board of 17 judges, The Hague-based International Court of Justice (ICJ) maintained the arrangements of the 1948 Genocide Convention – saying Myanmar had “made hopeless harm the privileges of the Rohingya”.
What is Rohingya issue?
- An expected 7.3 lakh Rohingya(Muslim minorities in Buddhist lion’s share Myanmar) have fled to Bangladesh since 2017
- The emergency was activated when the Myanmar military propelled a ruthless crackdown on Rohingya towns in the nation’s waterfront Rakhine state.
- It was the Republic of the Gambia which is prevalently Muslim who took Myanmar to ICJ blaming it for decimation on Rohingya
- ICJ has requested Myanmar to take crisis measures to forestall the slaughter of the Rohingya.
Who took the Myanmar to ICJ?
- Myanmar was additionally requested to forestall the pulverization of proof and to guarantee the conservation of proof identified with the supposed decimation
- Gambia was upheld by the 57-part Organization for Islamic Cooperation (OIC)
What were the orders of ICJ?
- ICJ has ordered Myanmar to take emergency measures to prevent the genocide of the Rohingya.
- Myanmar was also ordered to prevent the destruction of evidence and to ensure the preservation of evidence related to the alleged genocide
Is the matter closed?
- The ongoing request is a limiting request. It is only a temporary measure.
- The hearings managing the fundamental, and increasingly genuine charges of annihilation by the Myanmar military, have not in any case begun. This is relied upon to wait for a considerable length of time with no brisk terminations.
Quick Fact: So far, just three instances of decimation worldwide have been perceived since World War II: Cambodia (the late 1970s), Rwanda (1994), and Srebrenica, Bosnia (1995)
Demonstrating annihilation has been troublesome on account of the high bar set by its ‘goal prerequisite’ — that is indicating the destructive demonstrations were completed with the particular plan to dispense with a people based on their ethnicity
Future Course of action
Myanmar will present a report to the ICJ on all estimates produced to offer results to the temporary request inside four months, and from there on at regular intervals until an ultimate choice is passed.
Is the ICJ order binding?
The decision of the court is official on Myanmar, and can’t be requested. Notwithstanding, no methods are accessible to the court to implement it
What happens if Myanmar doesn’t comply with the provisional measures?
- At the point when a state neglects to follow ICJ decisions, the UN Security Council has the ability to force sanctions against it and guarantee consistency when global security and harmony are in question.
- Up until now, the Security Council has never taken a coercive measure against any nation to get an ICJ administering executed.
- Regardless of whether it arrives at the UNSC, Myanmar has a companion in China which can veto such procedures in the gathering.
Implications of the ruling
- Seen as the principal indication of the triumph by Rohingya exiles with an additional load of the unanimity of the decision
- Gouges the picture of Myanmar in global Politics
- The job of Nobel Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi who actually drove Myanmar’s guard at ICJ was not increased in value by worldwide human rights gatherings. She is a vigorous boss of Democracy and is directly driving the administration with the help of military
- Be that as it may, her resistance of military activities at ICJ is profoundly refreshing locally which will observer the decisions before the current year’s over.
- Reinforcing of Myanmar-China ties as China has constantly upheld the Military system of Myanmar.
Connecting the Dots
- India’s cases at ICJ
- India’s stand on Rohingya refugees who entered India’s north-east during this period.
(TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE)
Model questions: (You can now post your answers in comment section)
- Correct answers of today’s questions will be provided in next day’s DNA section. Kindly refer to it and update your answers.
- Comments Up-voted by IASbaba are also the “correct answers”.
Q1.Where is Davos, the venue of the annual meeting of World Economic Forum; located?
Q2.Which of the following gives ‘Global Gender Gap Index’ ranking to the countries of the world?
- World Economic Forum
- UN Human Rights Council
- UN Women
- World Health Organization