NMAT Examination Tips
NMAT Preparation Tips
Candidates can refer to some of the most essential preparation tips for NMAT. They are listed below:
- Smart Preparation: Hard work always pays, but efforts in the right direction with the right approach at the right time never turns into waste. So start your preparation in a smarter way as soon as possible.
- Practice Mock Tests: Yes it is true ‘more practice, more marks.’ This strategy turns out to be fruitful for every candidate. Candidates should solve other management exams also. Solving papers and giving mock tests helps in realizing the strengths and weaknesses.
- Study Material: Quality study material plays a very important role in preparation for exams. Referring many books create confusion in the mind but you can refer any good book which has good concepts in it.
- Practice Short Tricks: Solving questions with long methods, waste lots of time. For this, there is a better option to go with short tricks. This saves a lot of time. To have a good command over short tricks, practice is a must. There are many books available in the market, which provides many short tricks and you can have practice from that.
- Strong Your Basics: If you have your concepts clear then you don’t have to worry much about the concepts. Just polish your strengths and work hard on weaknesses. It is very important to be thorough with the syllabus and practice accordingly.
- Be thorough With The Exam Pattern: Practice sample papers of NMAT 2019 to avoid last-minute inconvenience.
- Self-made Notes: Whether the section is English, logical reasoning or quantitative aptitude, self-made notes are very helpful during the revision. These notes help in fast grasping the formulae and the concepts.
- Revision Strategy: it is a must to have a revision on a regular basis. Do revision on the proper timings and give more time to the weak areas.
- Time Management: management of time cannot be made in daily practice, it can be improved by die-hard practice. Candidates who have cleared NMAT had very good time management. They say, it is true, “Practice makes a man perfect” but it is best to say “Man makes the practice perfect”.
- Important Books: Everyone has his choice. But there are some books which are considered best for the preparation of NMAT 2019. Some of the books are as follows-
- For Language Skills- candidates can follow, Business Communication, English Language Comprehension Skills and Communication Skills by Sanjay Kumar and Pushp Lata.
- For Quantitative Aptitude- How to prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT by Arun Sharma, Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Exams by S. Chand and Quantitative Aptitude For Competitive Exams by Pearson.
- For Logical Reasoning- A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning by S. Chand, Analytical & Logical Reasoning for CAT & other Management Entrance Tests, Logical Reasoning & Preparation Study Guide (National Learning Corporation) and A New Approach to Reasoning Verbal & Non- verbal.
NMAT Section-wise Preparation Tips
Given below are the preparation tips for each section that are very helpful for the preparation of NMAT:
Section 1: Logical Reasoning
- This section consists of 40 questions out of 120 questions.
- The candidate must be thorough with the syllabus first.
- This section has to be completed in 38 minutes.
- No extra time would be given to complete the questions.
- Candidates must be sure before selecting the answers.
- Try using the backward approach of finding a solution.
- Candidates can sharp their logical skills by practicing as many questions as they can.
What should be the right approach to solve any problem in LR?
To solve any problem related to LR, you have to apply a good mathematical procedure step by step to draw a unique conclusion from given statements. But keep one thing straight that whatever conclusion you have drawn must satisfy all the preordered statements.
Get basic answers first (motivate you to give your best)
Before starting preparation you need to know NMAT 2019 Syllabus of reasoning & applications. Why do you need to study them? How it would help you in career prospects because you are supposed to become part of the management field.
- Why Logical Reasoning Test for upcoming Managers/Recruiters? (Maybe ‘YOU’)
After completion of your MBA Degree, when you will be working as a manager or recruiter in a corporate. At that time this test will be required to taken by you to hire new employees. If you are very well prepared & know all the terms & tactics related to logical reasoning then only you will be able to lead & judge others.
Strategies to improve Logical Reasoning
- Practice: Keep practicing as many questions as you can. Sometimes your attempting speed depends on logic, which is required to solve question at the right time in the right way. Practice will help you a lot to manage time for different types of questions. You will be able to identify what type of question needs how much time.
- Categorization: Classify your problem on time span & complexity level & devote time according to requirement.
- Learning: Do not solve questions in a different way any time you attempting it. Just maintain your own method & stick to that only otherwise you will be confused.
- Make Notes: When you start preparing make note of those problems which creates an issue when you have been solving them.
What are the ways to attempt Questions in Logical Reasoning?
- Find out the classification of different arguments & their relationship with each other
- Identify flaws
- Recognize the point of disagreement
- Identify principle & rules
- Collect supported statements to gather correct answer for your questions
- Draw relevant conclusion to analyze your answer
Section 2: Language Skills
- In this section, 32 questions are to be completed in 22 minutes.
- Grammar plays an important role.
- No one can learn all the grammar rules at one time.
- Splitting paragraphs into small paras comes in a very helpful manner.
- Splitting helps in collecting the information and vocabulary.
Reading Comprehension requires Excellency in Working Memory, Inferences & Language. These problems are generally faced by candidates during preparation. The general problems are as follows:
- Not able to interpret results from different passages.
- Not able to perform in the given time limit. The expected time to solve a reading comprehension is 4 to 5 minutes.
- Vocabulary & Grammatical errors.
- Level of thinking
These tips will surely help you to resolve your problem & to perform better. Basic motive to judge you on Reading Comprehension scale is to check your language skills i.e.
- How you interpret results & conclusions from a bunch of data that have been taken from a vast amount of data.
- The way you relate to the information given in the paragraphs step by step. If you have missed any tiny part of the information mentioned. Your results appear to be wrong.
- A wrong part of the information will misguide you in your search for right & accurate information.
Tips for Excel Language Skills
- Decoding of words: It is advised to every aspiring student that, when you start reading the comprehension part, start marking the important phrases & sentences or note down relevant words (in case of CBT)which you think appear to be important at the time of answering questions.
- Some faculties advised their students to read questions given in the comprehension first & after that passage. But it is solely the choice of student what he/she wants to do first whether questions first or passage.
- Read all passages in one attempt. Do not move to the questions in between. Because it will mitigate the time allotted for a particular section.
- Read all passages two times to get the theme of comprehension part & then answer the questions. Do not read again & again if you are not able to understand what has been said in the passages. It just appears to be a waste of your time.
- Reading newspapers & magazines is a must. Because it enhances your vocabulary & grammar skills so that you will be more efficient in answering questions.
- A high level of thinking is required so that you could infer the quoted message from the text.
NMAT by GMAC Paragraph based Preparation Tips
Paragraph based questions offer a small part of the information which is required to be emphasized on.
- Problems in collecting information from the given paragraph
- Vocabulary & Grammar
NMAT by GMAC Vocabulary Preparation Tips
Vocabulary preparation includes an emphasis on Synonyms, Antonyms & meaning of different words.
- New words: Read good English newspapers & mark new words. Find the meaning of those words & use them in your daily language to become acquainted with their usage.
- Spellings: Whatever you are reading, make notes of different words.
- Decode the information given in the paragraph & encode the same information while answering.
- Prepare these topics to secure favorable marks: word groups, Analogies & Sentence arrangement/ correction.
- Follow instructions step by step to conclude the answer.
NMAT by GMAC Grammar & Language Rules Preparation Tips
Prepare smartly according to, which section requires more time. No one can learn all the grammar rules at one time & if anyone could, then obviously it will take time to practice & apply them. Language rules account for do & don’ts during writing sentences.
- Practice proper prescriptive (do not end a sentence with a preposition) & descriptive rules (what information you have gathered from the written statements)
- Use correct convention rules (includes information which is factual & fixed like curriculum vitae, the format of book or letter. Use appropriate & relevant words in your writing.
- Maintain Tool Box analogy where different words, which are completely different in meaning to each other but serve the purpose of different requirements of language.
Section 3: Quantitative Skills
- This section comprises 48 questions and it has to be completed in 60 minutes.
- To score good marks in any section, a look on the syllabus makes the battle easy.
- The questions in this section test your goodness level with the numbers.
- For good practice, candidates must focus on the quality material, not the quantity material.
- Practicing previous years’ question papers, sample papers and other study materials really help.