Highlights |UPSC Exam Current Affairs 10-01-2020
UPSC exam current affairs 10-01-2020 The following article contains all the updated events and news for IAS Preparation. Our daily IAS Current Affairs and News cover the most important topics to give precise information to the reader and IAS Aspirants.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD)
- Madhavpur Mela
- Rann Utsav
- Green Credit Scheme
- Indian Economy
Watch Video – UPSC Exam Current Affairs 10-01-2020
Video Source – Shankar IAS Academy
find top institutes for IAS coaching
UPSC Exam Current Affairs 10-01-2020 are followed in the part below:
UPSC Exam Current Affairs and News Analysis (10-01-2020)
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD)
Part of: GS Prelims – Important events and GS-I- Modern History
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is commended on ninth January consistently to stamp the commitment of the Overseas Indian people group in the improvement of India.
- January 9 was picked as the day to commend this event since it was on this day in 1915 that Mahatma Gandhi came back to India from South Africa, drove India’s opportunity battle and changed the lives of Indians until the end of time.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) Convention is praised once in like clockwork to reinforce the commitment of the abroad Indian people group with the Government of India and reconnect them with their underlying foundations.
- During the Convention, chose abroad Indians are additionally regarded with the lofty Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award to perceive their commitments to different fields both in India and abroad.
World Hindi Day: Celebrated on Jan 10
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I- Society; GS-II- Polity (Schedule Languages)
- World Hindi Day is remembered each year with the target to advance the utilization of Hindi language abroad
- On this day in 2006, the First World Hindi Conference was composed in Nagpur with the expect to advance the language worldwide and from that point forward each year tenth January is being seen as the World Hindi Day.
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains I – Culture
- The eight conditions of the Northern Eastern Region will take an interest in a major manner during the Madhavpur Mela of Gujarat due to be held in the main seven day stretch of April 2020.
- Madhavpur lies on the beach, near Porbandar. A fifteenth-century Madhavrai sanctuary denotes the site.
- The Madhavpur Ghed, a little however socially huge town, is where, as indicated by old stories, Lord Krishna wedded Rukmini, the girl of King Bhishmaka.
- This occasion is recognized by a social reasonable held each year, beginning on Ram Navami
- The Madhavpur Mela of Gujarat shares its associate with the Mishmi Tribe of Arunachal Pradesh. The Mishmi Tribe follows its parentage to the incredible King Bhishmak and through him to his girl Rukmini and Lord Krishna.
Curative Petition: Nirbhaya Case convicts file Curative pleas in Supreme Court
Part of: GS Prelims- Judiciary and GS Mains –II- Indian Polity
- A remedial appeal, which follows the expulsion of a survey request, is the last legitimate road open for convicts in the Supreme Court.
- Appeared: It is an uncommon cure formulated by a Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court in its judgment in the Rupa Ashok Hurra case in 2002.
- Grounds of Filing Curative Petition: A gathering can take just two constrained grounds in a remedial appeal —
- One that he was not heard by the court before the adverse judgment was passed, and
- Two- the judge was biased.
NITI Aayogs’s PPP Policy for Health Sector
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- Health and Governance
- The PPP plan drafted by NITI Aayofg includes connecting private restorative schools with the administration region medical clinics, in which the private elements can change over a portion of the emergency clinic beds into paid beds.
- Reason: Limited assets accessible with the Union and State governments
- The backward model which markets the effectively little general wellbeing framework.
- It would additionally decrease access to general wellbeing organizations: particularly when just 25% of non-hospitalized and 45% of hospitalized patients look for medicinal services from general wellbeing establishments.
- Increments out-of-pocket wellbeing use of Citizens.
Part of: GS Prelims and GS I- Geography
- It is the yearly white desert jamboree held by Gujarat Tourism Department in the nation’s biggest salt desert ‘Extraordinary Rann of Kutch’.
- It praises the social and masterful legacy of Kutch.
- The exercises incorporate society move exhibitions, workmanship shopping, star looking and touring.
Tiger Reserves: Demand to notify certain areas of Wildlife Sanctuaries in Goa as Tiger Reserve
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III- Environment Conservation
- Mahadayi, Netravali and Cotigao havens and some piece of Mahaveer National Park in Goa has seen the nearness of Tigers that have pushed Politicians and activists to request Tiger Reserve status in these territories
- Havens and National Parks are zones of huge environmental, botanical, faunal or regular hugeness. They are advised by State Governments and secured by the Forest Department under the arrangements of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972.
- A National Park or Wildlife Sanctuary that is viewed as critical for ensuring tigers can be furthermore assigned as a Tiger Reserve.
- A Tiger Reserve comprises of a ‘Center’ or ‘Basic Tiger Habitat’, which is to be overseen as an untouched zone, and a ‘Cushion’ or Peripheral region quickly adjoining a Core territory, which might be agreed a lesser level of living space security.
Green Credit Scheme
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III- Economy, Conservation
- In the present framework, the industry needs to make up for the loss of woodland procured for its business movement by paying the Forest office a charge. The office is then liable for reforesting on another fix of land gained by industry.
About Green Credit Scheme – yet to be implemented
- It enables organizations to recognize land and start developing ranches. Following three years, they would be qualified to be considered as compensatory woods land.
- An industry requiring timberland land could then move toward the organization and pay it for packages of such forested land, and this would then be moved to the Forest Department and be recorded as woods land.
Benefits of the Scheme
- This allows “forests” to be traded as a commodity.
- The Scheme allows the Forest Department to outsource one of its responsibilities of reforesting to non-government agencies.
- It thus fast tracks industrial projects and enhances ease of doing business without compromising on the environmental assets of the Nation.
TOPIC: General Studies 3:
- Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization, of resources, growth, development and employment.
- Infrastructure: Energy
- Investment Models
Coal Sector in India: Norms liberalised for entry and regulations relaxed
The Cabinet approved the promulgation of Mineral Laws (Amendment) Ordinance 2020.
What provisions does Ordinance contain?
- It allows Coal mining by any Companies
- Earlier: Only those in Power, Iron & Steel and Coal washery Business could bid for Mines
- It also does away with captive end-use criteria i.e. Coal can be commercially mined and sold to any buyer in an open market
- Earlier: The Coal mined by a licensee could be used for only specified purpose like for its own Thermal power plant i.e. they could not be sold in Open market like that of Coal India Ltd (Public Sector Enterprise)
What are the advantages accruing from this changed regulatory regime?
- Expands the pool of Potential bidders: This will lead to better competition during auctions thus fetching better revenues for the government.
- Development of Coal market: End use restriction inhibited the growth and development of the market thus driving down the Coal production and also distorting free price discovery of the mined coal.
- Reduces Coal imports: India imported 235 million tonnes worth 1.71 Lakh Crore Rupees. Of these 135 million tonnes could have been substituted by domestic Coal production. Reduction in Coal imports leads to saving on foreign exchange reserves and also betters our trade balance.
- Brings an end to Monopoly of Coal India Ltd.: Movement from State controlled system to free-market economy which incentivizes the private sector to act as engines of growth.
- Efficient use of resources: Enhanced competition will inevitably lead to better utilization of the natural resources available in the country.
- Employment: Large investments in mining will create jobs in the country.
- Demand creation for other Sectors: Opening up of the sector will set off demand in critical sectors such as mining equipment and Heavy commercial vehicle industries.
- Infusion of Modern technologies into Coal Sector: The move will also help India gain access to sophisticated technology for underground mining used by global miners
- Helps achieve government target of 1.5 billion tonnes of domestic coal production by 2023-24.
What are the possible challenges/demerits of this step?
- Procedural Delays: Government ought to guarantee that endorsement and consistency methodology are not ancient and draconian which will expand the forthright cost in this manner dissuading private players to enter the division.
- Climatic Concerns: When nations over the world are moving endlessly from non-renewable energy source assets this progression to upgrade Coal creation is reprimanded by tree huggers.
- Wellbeing Concerns: Coal consuming discharges Carbon dioxide, particulate issue, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide and mercury-in this manner harming the strength of numerous individuals around the locale.
- The enthusiasm of Coal India Ltd: This is a Maharatna PSU which is considered as a National resource and is recorded in the stock trades. Opening up of the segment ought not to bargain the capacity of CIL and dodge the way BSNL went down in the telecom advertise.
- Businesses of CIL: Nearly 3 Lakh individuals are utilized in CIL. Opening of the part ought not to jeopardize the development possibilities of CIL and the business parts of the businesses.
- Work Standards: Private organizations so as to lessen their information costs and augment their benefits may subvert work rules which may detrimentally affect labourers occupied with those endeavours.
- The move comes when the window for petroleum products is quickly shutting, and the worldwide vitality scene developing, with key changes to the venture culture in the midst of developing atmosphere concerns.
- Government in this way needs to adjust its responsibilities towards Climate Change and its basic to push the formative motivation. Advancement of Clean Coal Technology which is at present Cost restrictive is the best approach to push forward.
Connecting the dots
- Effect of opening up of Coal area on India’s promises made during Paris Climate Deal, particularly in the scenery of US pulling back from the arrangement.
- Should the Railway part likewise be opened up for private players?
- Exercises gained from Liberalization of Telecom area in the wake of declining fortunes of BSNL
- Should Air India be privatized in the light of mounting misfortunes
General Studies 3:
- Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
General Studies 2:
- Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests,
Australia’s staggering fire season that started in August 2019 proceeds with unabated and caused huge scale decimation especially in New South Wales and Queensland district
Why are the wildfires unprecedented?
- Despite the fact that Australia has consistently had bushfires, this season has been a ton more regrettable than ordinary with almost 12 million sections of land consumed by the flames.
- Extremely high temperatures (averaging 42O C), broadened dry season period(driest spring on record) and solid breezes (spreads the bushfires) have combined to make sad fire conditions.
Is Climate Change to Blame?
- Australia is typically sweltering and dry in the mid year, yet environmental change, which brings longer and increasingly visit times of outrageous warmth, compounds these conditions and ignites vegetation drier and bound to.
- Australia’s shrub flames will turn out to be presently increasingly continuous and progressively serious as environmental change compounds.
Impact of Such wildfires
- Agricultural Production impacted
- Loss of Human lives
- Loss of Flora and Fauna- Loss of Biodiversity
- Leads to the evacuation of communities – Temporary migration to other places
- Economic disruption
- Frequent wildfires in the near future will make the region uninhabitable and thus catalysing environmental migration.
- Questions the developmental Model of the Country (Dependence on Coal Sector for its economic development which leads to GHG emissions)
- Questions the commitment of World towards battling Climate Change especially its impact now being clearly felt. This will pressurize the US (which has withdrawn from the Paris deal) and other countries to increase their Paris Deal commitments
Impact on India
- Fortify the voices of individuals who contend against India’s reliance on non-renewable energy sources like coal and oil.
- India’s capacity to import high calibre of Coal from Australia will be affected.
- Indian interest in Australia’s coal area will be imperilled Ex: Adani Carmichael Coal mine venture in Galilee Basin in Queensland, Australia.
- Moral Pressure on India to take up the initiative of battling environmental change in the Asia-Pacific district.
- Reception of Cleaner advances which radiates less ozone harming substances.
- Upgrading capacities of government specialists to confront comparable such occurrences later on.
- Resident mindfulness about the threats of Climate Change and in this manner convince them to embrace an increasingly maintainable way of life having less carbon impression.
- Broadening vitality crate to diminish reliance on Coal and other petroleum products. Rather than advancing the utilization of sustainable power source like sunlight based force.
- Building up a thorough Migration and Refugee Policy in the wake of expanding potential outcomes of natural outcasts.
Connecting the dots
- Does India also have Climatic conditions similar to that in Australia which were responsible for wildfires?
Do You Know?
- Coal is Australia’s second-biggest fare behind the iron metal. In 2016-17 Australia traded 202 million tons of warm coal and 177 million tons of metallurgical coal with a consolidated estimation of $54 billion.
- Australian coal is profoundly looked for after around the globe for its high vitality substance and low polluting influences which make it perfect for use in current High Efficiency-Low Emission (HELE) power plants and steel factories.
- India is the fourth-biggest maker of Coal and second-biggest merchant of Coal
(TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE)
Model questions: (You can now post your answers in the comment section)
Q.1) Mahadayi and Mahaveer National Park are located in which State/UT of India?
Q.2) Rupa Ashok Hurra case in 2002 led to related to which of the following judicial remedies/pronouncements?
- Writ of Habeas Corpus
- Restriction of detention by State authorities
- Curative review petition
- None of the above
Q.3) Which of the following are the benefits of the Green Credit Scheme?
- It allows forests to be traded as a commodity.
- It allows the Forest Department to outsource one of its responsibilities of reforesting to non-government agencies
Select the correct answer from the codes given below
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
Q.4) Madhavpura Mela often seen in news is celebrated in which State?
- Uttar Pradesh
Q.5) Consider the following statements
- Project Tiger was launched in 1973 with 9 tiger reserves for conserving our national animal, the tiger.
- Project Tiger is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme of the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change providing central assistance to the tiger States for tiger conservation in designated tiger reserves.
- A National Park or Wildlife Sanctuary that is considered significant for protecting tigers can be additionally designated as a Tiger Reserve
Which of the statement(s) given above is/are correct
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1,2 and 3